Thursday, February 5, 2009

Book: Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich


Title: Hard Eight
Book 8 in the Stephanie Plum Series
Author: Janet Evanovich
Chick Bounty Hunter Mystery/Thriller
As a member of the Plum Series-this book a 5 out of 5

If you don't mind formulaic writing or heck if you are looking for a good formula Evanovich can always deliver. Some readers diss Evanovich bc her novels are very similar but for me that's what makes them good. I don't get to watch much T.V. and I don't have cable (but I might by this weekend if the cable company ever shows up). So for me this kind of series is just like watching a sitcom, the characters are reliable-the funny ones are funny, the sexy ones are sexy and the dumb ones are always good for a laugh. Reading Evanovich is a cross between Magnum P.I., Home Alone and James Patterson. The Stephanie Plum series has comedy (especially slap stick) and adventure/thrill provided mostly by her job as a bounty hunter which she often blunders through. Also, Evanovich writes my kind of sex, lol. I don't need to read about his throbbing member or a play by play that goes on for pages. Now, don't get me wrong I love a good piece of erotic fiction but through the erotic genre you get to read sex and sexuality in way that realeases your imagination. In the romance department Plum has a on again off again boyfriend, Morelli, and her fellow bounty hunter, Ranger. Through these two characters you get lust, sex and even love. As far as the usual story line, this book is a little different in that she is not picking up people who have missed their court dates thus revoking their bonds but is instead investigating a family bond for her parents neighbor. The neighbor's daughter was ordered to put up a bond during her divorce to deter her from fleeing with the child. Her mother, the neighbor, put her house up as collateral for the bond. The daughter and child go missing and Plum is asked by the neighbor to investigate. There's an added bonus to this book and if you read Seven Up (the previous installment) you'll know if deals with Ranger. Yummy!!!

*I read some reviews on this book on the web and a few readers felt this book was lacking in plot and two predictable. I disagree. I thought this book was just as good as her previous books in the series and really funny. Of course, I also like the parts with Ranger ... did I say that already, lol.

** Funny for the day: My boss comes to me with the supplies bill and says, "Do we really need to order small paperclips? We have hundreds in the copy room." I reply, "The reason we have so many is bc I keep filling them up." He replied, "Well I think people are just too damn lazy to look for a paperclip around here and we need to quit ordering paperclips to force them to find some." To myself I thought, You're an idiot we just wasted more of your billable time to disucss paperclips than it cost to buy them. Secondly, where do you just "find" paperclips? Are there paperclip bunnies who magically reproduce paperclips?

No comments:

Post a Comment