Monday, February 2, 2009

Movie: New in Town (2009)


Harry Connick, Jr. and Renee Zellweger

Directed by Jonas Elmer

Screenplay by Ken Rance and C. Jay Cox


3 out of 5 stars, DVD worthy
Chick Flick Romantic Comedy

Synopsis: In this romantic comedy, Renée Zellweger stars as Lucy Hill, a powerful businesswoman who feels right at home in glamorous Miami. But soon a business opportunity takes her to small town America,... In this romantic comedy, Renée Zellweger stars as Lucy Hill, a powerful businesswoman who feels right at home in glamorous Miami. But soon a business opportunity takes her to small town America, and she realizes that she may have found more there than just another way to climb the corporate ladder. Harry Connick Jr. costars as the object of Lucy's affection, and JUNO's J.K. Simmons also plays a role. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1196344-new_in_town/


Wow, this movie got a 3.9 out of 10 on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't think the movie was that bad. I mean I wish I had seen something else since it wasn't "movie theater" worthy but I would have given it a 6 out of 10. The movie just falls short of being a great girl classic like Two Weeks Notice, Maid in Manhattan, The Wedding Planner, Wedding Date, and Sweet Home Alabama. I enjoyed the movie but could have waited too see it on DVD.
Not to be superficial but Renee looked a little strange in the movie (face too shiney, hair too harsh or not smooth). She still looked better than me on a good day, lol, but not her best look so far.
What went wrong with this movie? Since I didn't really see any fault in the acting I decided to check out the Director- Jonas Elmer. This could be part of the problem- with the exception of this film it looks like his past stuff has been German films/TV so maybe there was somthing lost in his translation. This movie didn't leave me with the happy, all is well in the world lovey dovey feeling I had expected. The thing that impressed upon my mind the most was the snow and cold in Minnesota and of course the comedy based on their accents which I appreciated bc people always make fun of my southern accent and you know who ya'll are, lol!
Next, I looked up the screen writers, Ken Rance and C. Jay Cox. First thing I learned about Ken is that he is a native from Minneapolis, Minnesota. So, I will give him props for the funny Minnesota accents and the loveable family focused characters. I really enjoyed the family portrayals in this movie it definitley had a homey feel. Next, I see this is his "first rodeo" as well. His previous experience has been as assistants or with movies I haven't seen or heard of. On to C. Jay Cox who you know as the screenwriter for Sweet Home Alabama (2002) and Kiss the Bride (2008) (with Torri Spelling). So, now with that info I am disappointed. This movie should have been better with Cox as a writer since he wrote the screenplay for Sweet Home Alabama. So I guess I am gonna play the director for this movie missing it's mark. Better luck next time!!


*I put Kiss the Bride on my netflix list so maybe you'll hear about that one soon.


**Funny for the day: My boss walked by me today and said, "Don't you look nice today ... all colorful and shit". LOL, that's the way we roll here in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment