Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Crochet Away: Sew Crafty Houston

This is my crochet room. Hahahaha, just kidding!! I can barely finish a row of chain stitching much less finish a project. I found this pic in an article, Crochet: It’s Not Just Kitsch Anymore.

My Christmas present to myself ... I signed up for a crochet class for this Sunday at Sew Crafty Houston. I am so excited. I did some crochet as a youngin' with my Great Grandmother, Grandmother Keeland. I forgot most of it so I was trying to teach myself with a book as well as through a crochet group I found on yahoo meetups. It was going well but I was having trouble getting past the chain stitch (which isn't very far, lol). So I decided to sign up for a class in January and here we are. Also besides being a generally crafty person I decided to take up crochet bc to keep my hands and mind occupied during those times I want to randomly eat.





Yahoo Houston Crochet Meetup-- Meets at The Black Walnut Cafe (near university shops) on Saturday mornings. It's a lovely group of ladies of all ages. It's very casual and people of all skill levels. You can also get a bite to eat before, after or during. http://www.meetup.com/houstoncrochet/





Sew Crafty Houston-- Is a fairly new craft class store. It's in the Heights and they have sewing, crochet and other crafty classes available. You can sign up online or visit the store. I'll be there Sunday for Crochet I class. http://sewcraftyhouston.com/





Crochet book I am using-- Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker. One of the girls at the meetup told me she used it to teach herself so I picked up a copy. It's got pretty much everything you need to know. I think I am just a bit more visual and need someone to show me the next step but it is a great reference item and has patterns from easy to hard. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761139850/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0761128182&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13MRBZDXEH7FAXRJPMJ2

No comments:

Post a Comment