Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Retro christmas ornaments: Crackerbox







Growing up my Great Grandmother, Grandmother Keeland, decorated her skinny artificial tree with beaded ornaments. They weren't as grand as the ones in this picture but too me they were equally beautiful. It wasn't until I got older and started decorating my own tree that I found out this style of beaded satin ball was made from kits from the Crackerbox Company. The company has been around for 35 years. Each ornament kit has a name and they regularly retire the kits making them highly collectible. You can look on Ebay to find retired kits and completed ornaments. The ornaments on my tree are from random boxed ornaments I bought on Ebay. Most were missing beads so I took the best ones and "repaired" them with the beads of the more broken ones. I joined the Crackerbox mailing list and was amazed at the catalog I received in the mail. There are so many different styles and colors. I love the names they are so serious and comical at the same time. For me the ornaments bring back fond childhood memories and are often an interesting topic of conversation when people first see my Christmas tree.


So if you are looking for a new hobby, a retro Christmas look or just interested in something new check out http://www.crackerbox.com/ and get on the mailing list. You might become a fan or pass on the company information to someone else who might enjoy them. Check it out!!

5 comments:

  1. Those are so cool! I'm going to that website. Didn't know you had a blog! Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started it after my surgery but I started back to school at night this summer and lost momentum. I am going to try keep it up again now that I'll be done with this semester in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ornaments! Are you still in school? If so, what are you taking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you have Jamie! I love just those sorts of things - found objects made beautiful again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Cracker Box ornament are beautiful but I would love to see more close up photos. So many of their older ornaments are not in their catalog or Oldie Goldie disc they sell. I'm sure many people would also love to view your wonderful collection close up.

    ReplyDelete